|Home | Timelines | First Years | Collections | Historical | Albums | Archaeology | PVSA | About ||
Home >> First Years >> The Preparatory Department, 1888
>> The Preparatory Department, 1888
Many more boys applied for admission than could pass the entrance examinations to the Manual Department. Mr. Bishop recognized the need for a Preparatory Department for younger boys.
Mr. Bishop offered to build the Preparatory building at his own expense and presented it to the trustees of his wife's estate. The offer was accepted and building construction began immediately.
The trustees were given charge and management of the new department of the Kamehameha School for Boys.
The Preparatory Department opened on May 18, 1888 with Miss Carrie A. Reamer as principal.
The department continued to operate for more than forty years until it was closed at the end of the school year in 1931 - 1932. Trustees felt that the public school system was preparing younger boys satisfactorily to meet the entrance requirements to the Boys School.The information is edited from History of the Kamehameha Schools by Loring C. Hudson, p. 19-20.
Students with their teachers.
Web site maintained by Kamehameha
General photo credit: Kamehameha Schools Archives
©Kamehameha Schools. Statements of copyright, privacy and disclaimer.
$counter = "/library/webserver/documents/archives/counter.txt"; $fd = fopen($counter, "r"); $num = fread($fd, filesize( $counter )); fclose($fd); $fd = fopen($counter, "w"); $users = $num + 1; echo "$users"; fwrite($fd, $users); fclose($fd); ?>